RECIPE MONDAY; Turkey Apple Sausage Patties
These turkey apple sausage patties are pact with flavor and easy to make and a perfect compliment to the Pancakes with Orange Zest. This week’s “CELEBRATION FRIDAY” is “Celebrating Freedom”. Every July 4th for the last 15 years we have had a fishing rodeo at our cottage for all the kids in the resort. Starting at 8am the fog horn blows and all the kids start fishing. (I always wondered if the blowing of this very loud horn scared the fish away???) As the kids fish the adults drink our coffee and enjoy watching them pull fish out of the lake.
Breakfast is served Lake side. We keep it pretty simple with pancakes, sausages, and donuts. This year I made these turkey apple sausage patties the night before and put them in the crock pot to warm up. They were delicious!!
I make a huge batch, form the mixture into patties, and brown on each side. I place them on a large baking sheet and then stick them in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes until the internal temperature is 160 degrees. The fennel seed gives these sausage patties a wonderful flavor!
You will not want to miss “WORTHY WEDNESDAY”!
Turkey Apple Sausage Patties
Yield: 12 patties
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 45 min
Sausage patties made with ground turkey, onion, apples, fennel seed, herbs de provence, and sage
• 2 T. olive oil
• 1 small onion
• 2 granny smith apples, diced
• 1.5 lb ground chicken
• 1/4 cup fresh sage
• 1 T. fennel seed
• ½ t. herbs de provence
• 1 t S & P
• pinch of cinnamon
1. Heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat and cook onion until translucent and soft, about 3 minutes. Add apples and cook until soft about 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. Combine chicken with onion-apple mixture and remaining ingredients, mixing with your hands.
3. Form into 3 inch-round patties about 1 inch thick, and chill until ready to use.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a little oil in a medium oven proof sauté pan, and brown patties over medium-low heat 2 minutes on each side; transfer pan to oven and bake until cooked through to 160 degrees internal temperature.(about 10 minutes). (You can make them a day ahead and reheat them in microwave or put them in a crock pot)